Saturday, August 20, 2011

Randomness



So I have a bunch of random pictures that I thought I would finally post about.

So this will be a collage I guess of the past couple months.

On 4th of July weekend we went to a polo game.



Haven't ever been to a polo game?

You are so missing out!

It is pretty awesome.

I am always amazed at how they can gallop down the field and hit a tiny (its only baseball sized!) ball with a big mallet and not hurt themselves or the horses.

The polo field is really pretty too.



On the other side of those palm trees is the beach.

Most people just come to the game to tailgate and drink.



Notice all the people with their backs turned to the field.

I enjoy watching it though.

Here is another random picture.



Yep, Lilo (the Genius) got herself stuck in a vine supporter.

Then she got that stuck to the wire fence around our plants.

It was pretty pathetic.

This picture probably seems even more random.



(Note: I didn't intend to look so menacing with the rolling pin)

But there is a reason why I am dressed as a 50s housewife months away from Halloween.

Our church had its biannual talent show/dress up night.

Stephen HATES dressing up so he just wore all black with a name tag that said "Miles Davis" and carried around a trumpet.

It was a good time.

The baby shower I was in charge of was last week.

It went really well but in the busyness of running the shower I completely forgot to take pictures.

So I took some picture of the decorations at home.

The baby shower was for my friend April who is having a baby girl named Helena.

This was the main decoration piece.



I took the "shower" part of baby shower as my inspiration.

Also the idea of "showering with love".



Though during the shower one of the ladies said "What a cute idea! April showers!'



I hadn't even thought of that!



So it worked on multiple levels.

After the shower I took the decoration home and changed it so it just said "Helena" and April is going to put it up in her nursery.

Here is the center piece that I put on each table.







Stephen recently made a new batch of beer for the upcoming big Wolfe wedding.

I was especially excited about this because I make cookies with the "spent" grains (the grains that get seeped and then tossed when making beer).

(Recipe found here: http://www.omnomicon.com/spent-grain-cookies)



This batch was especially good because the grains were really dark with a chocolate flavor to them.

I also recently bought this:



(You can get one too at: urbancheesecraft.etsy.com)

And made this with it:





(That is ricotta cheese by the way)

It was pretty easy and tasted really good.

It was funny because I gave Stephen a taste of it and before he said anything I thought "He probably has never tasted ricotta cheese that hasn't been baked in some casserole or lasagna".

Sure enough he said "Um..it tastes kinda plain"

I had to explain to him that ricotta is a very mild cheese and that is how its supposed to taste.

I made some tasty ricotta gnocchi with it.

It was also cool to have all the whey that was left over from making the cheese.

"No whey!" - that's what my dork of a husband said when I told him that.

Whey is very high in protein and very healthy.

I used it and the some of the spent grains to make this bread:



I also use some whey when I make rice or oatmeal.

I froze the left over whey in ice trays and add a cube or two to my smoothies.

So that is all the randomness for now.

I may not be posting for a little while, next week the whole Wolfe family is here and then 2 weeks after that my parents are here and then 2 weeks after that I go to Napa for my friend's wedding.

It's a busy time of year for me.

If only I weren't so popular...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

WOW...you are so busy...and your food looks great...except, perhaps the cookies are a bit too...healthy looking for me. Now, if you were to dab some frosting on top..yum! Looking foward to seeing you SOON!

Amanda Salaiz said...

I love the shower decorations! You're so clever.